31 May 2012

Everything is Tickety-Boo

This morning I found myself at Granola, a most wonderful little coffee shop in Oxford. Yesterday my friend Joy introduced me to it and I fell in love.  So this morning.... I went right back.  I sat downstairs this time and felt happy in my cozy little corner reading and drinking coffee.  I sent a text to Joy telling her I was at Granola again because I enjoyed so much the first time.  Later she texted back saying, she'd forgotten her phone at home but at the very same time she had been sitting upstairs in the same coffee shop....





My cozy spot

Outside the window of my little spot

I think I may paint this on our bathroom door just for fun

I stumbled into a shop filled with handmade goods on my way to the market and saw this little book that said "Tickety Boo!"  I took a picture thinking I would look it up later to see what it meant.  I love new words and while I don't see myself incorporating tickety boo into my vocabulary, I was still intrigued.  



And what I found was this on urban dictionary....
          
tickety-boo

1. Going smoothly, doing all right. Copacetic.

2. Proceeding quickly.

This expression may have originated in Scotland, where it's the title of a popular children's song. A song called "Everything Is Tickety-Boo" was recorded by Danny Kaye as part of the film "Merry Andrew".

This expression is heard more often in Canada nowadays. May have originated in the British military. Possibly related to the Hindi expression "tickee babu", meaning "everything's alright, sir". Some people spell it "diggity boo" or "tiggity boo".
Everything is tickety-boo, tickety-boo, tickety-boo...

               


And this charming video of Danny Kaye in Merry Andrew.......




Everything is tickety boo, tickety boo, tickety boo, everything is tickety boo on such a dreamy day
Who could be persnickety poo, snickety poo, snickety poo with the skies so blickety blue


So apparently, the weather here has been tickety boo.  Blue skies, 75 degrees and sunny with a breeze~ my favorite! Before I even finished this post, I heard the thunder rolling and within minutes, the beautiful blue skies had turned to gray.  The wind is blowing, the rains are beating loudly on the roof above my head, and in just a few minutes I will put my wellies on, grab my umbrella and walk to get Max from school.  I really love a good thunderstorm and don't mind the rain at all when we've had a few days of sunshine!

So no persnickety poo over here.  We are tickety boo!

2 comments:

  1. As always glad to hear from you, about you and how things are... and all the new, educational info too! LOVE YOUR POSTS!! THANK YOU : )
    Peace & Hugs to you all, Sonya

    ReplyDelete