30 November 2011

Thankful for Thanksgiving

Do you have that tradition at Thanksgiving when family and friends are gathered around the table of going around and saying what it is you are thankful for? Thanksgiving time does cause us to think at least once or twice about the things and the people that we are grateful for.  Usually things like family and friends, nice places to live and having a job are at the top of the list.  Every year at Thanksgiving we are with family for a day or two, enjoying each other's company, laughing together, playing games, watching football, watching the kids run around and do what they do, and of course eating the most amazing meal of the year.  This year, for the Blackburn family, Thanksgiving looked a little (okay a LOT) different than it usually does.  Thursday morning I kissed the kids (and husband) goodbye and sent them all off to school.  It felt strange and almost wrong.  I thought the day would come and go with little interruption to our new normal and didn't really account for the strangeness we all would feel on this first "holiday" away from home.  That evening we were all out of sorts for missing our families and friends and decided to go to Burger King with our sadness.  Jeff and I tried our hardest to make it a "thankful evening" but to no avail. The boys were thankful for things like "planes that will take us back home" and for the other one being the "best farter I know".  What!?  This is not exactly what we were hoping for.  We did get to talk and skype with family which was nice, but no replacement for the real deal.


The guy at the BK lounge apparently does not know what NO fries means. 
 I think I'm counting at least 4 there.  

Friday evening felt a little more normal.  Our American friends Joy and Michael with their daughter Riley came to our house to celebrate a proper Thanksgiving with us. We did things a little differently... but had fun in the process.  The turkey and stuffing were leftovers from someone else's thanksgiving(!), and with limited availability of ingredients, the sides were not "mom's" but were still good (especially Joy and Michael's amazing sweet potatoes).


Canned pumpkin is a strange phenomenon in this land and is virtually nowhere to be found.  The mad hunt began as I asked for it in every grocery store I could find. Each time I was met with blank stares and questions like, "Pumpkin, like the round orange vegetable??  In a tin???  I've never heard of this."  Someone told me they'd heard that a store outside of town had a few cans and unbelievably I got one!  This was going to be my first pie making experience here and I was pleased that the worst thing that happened was the "soy sauce" look it had on the top of it.  We have a European oven with symbols that I still don't quite understand.  I mostly have the celsius thing figured out but the fact that it is also a fan oven has thrown a serious wrench in anything good I had going for me in the cooking/baking arena.  I set the timer to check on the pie a whole 15 minutes before I should have and it was still burnt on top! It seemed not to phase anyone and we were all happy to have this little luxury.  

We are thankful for friends near and far, for family who love us and for a church home 4,000 miles away.  We are thankful for those supporting us.  We are thankful for every prayer offered on our behalf.  We are thankful for each other.  We are thankful for a place to live, for this wild and crazy adventure.  For being gently forced into this deeper place of trusting God with it all.  And for all that God has provided this far.  In the freshness of all this recent change we felt ourselves simply being thankful for 'Thanksgiving'.  











7 comments:

  1. Shoot I love you guys so much. Been thinking about you and praying for you often. So good to be able to read up a little on your lives in Oxford!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodie, your experiences sound so familiar!

    You are GORGEOUS! btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! Just spent my Saturday morning catching up on your adventure. I want to weep....with love for you, for your incredible braveness to follow God's plan for you, I can't even imagine the things you have been required to do. I'm so proud of you. I miss you.

    Love, Jil Good

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE hearing from you and for those few minutes, it doesn't seem like you are far away at all. Of course, you are close to our hearts and in our prayers!
    I just have to tell you, the Burger King visit on Thanksgiving made me think of one thing...I hope you've seen the movie....A Christmas Story! When the family had to go to the Chinese Restaurant on Christmas b/c the neighbor's dogs got the turkey. Fa-Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra I really was laughing out loud as I read what the boys were thankful for and your pumpkin search/pie baking experience, whether it was supposed to be funny or not.....Praying you know God's peace throughout the Holiday Season! Love you all...Darla

    ReplyDelete
  5. M~ You know I love you back. Remember a couple Christmases ago Jeff took those crazy pics of us under the mistletoe at our house? You are fun. And too, I saw you yesterday, or I thought I did anyway. I was at Starbucks reading a stranger's blog and crying and when I looked up, there you were, right where you were supposed to be :-) All those Starbucks moments with you are forever with me.
    Jill~ Honestly, it feels good knowing you feel what I feel. I've thought of you more than ever! And you're too kind. But I'll take it since Olivia just told me that my butt looked 'wide'. She tried to take it back but it didn't work.
    Jil~ I miss you. How is it possible that we haven't seen each other for this long? I just got your email.... perfectly timed. I cried good tears.
    D~ So glad you laughed. It wasn't at all funny at the time, but looking back it sure is. And I love hearing that it doesn't seem we're far away for the few minutes you're reading the blog. I feel more connected to people too just hearing from you, so keep it coming :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...I know very well what it means to learn a new normal, ---and the pain that can go with it! ...and the blessings! Well done on creating a Thanksgiving in new land---it truly is what the Pilgrims did, indeed! Fun to read and to "meet" you, my new neighbor (well sort-a) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeff, Jodie, Olivia, Luke and Max! I'm glad to have a use for the blog I made for a class at Otterbein. I wish you had been around a week longer so you could have met Jael. I have her next to me in her swing right now and she's being cute and happy. I'm glad you got to have a semi-normal Thanksgiving meal on Friday. Your Thanksgiving reminds me of when we were traveling on Thanksgiving and having a hard time finding any restaurant that was open. I love and miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete